Wednesday, April 1, 2015

mom's life: my green thumb

Bwahahaha! If you know me, you know I have no green thumb. Our last house sat completely un-lanscaped for 4 years. 4 years. Every March I told Jason that this would be the year that we planted at least some bushes in front of our house and maybe even some flowers. Then we didn't.

Cooking, decorating, sewing, cleaning, organizing, schooling are all areas that I feel fairly confident in and enjoy doing. I know absolutely nothing about all things green (that you plant at least). In fact, I had the whole annual and perrienal thing backwards. Thank you, Rachel.

Any flowers or plants that decorated our last house were....FAKE. I understood that green definitely added to things, but didn't want to take on the responsibility of keeping anything (other than my children) alive. And with vibrant teal walls in the last house, really I didn't need much plant color.

Fast forward to our new house. I was hoping for some very simple landscaping that would be super easy to maintain. This is what we got. It ain't pretty.

Just another area of our house where we aren't sure what the plan was. Was the front of the house just a good place to collect rocks?


And with our wonderful white walls, my house began to scream "Add some green." I have answered the call, but just barely. I now have 5 x as much green as our last house. I want LOTS more, but you have to start somewhere.

The first to enter the scene was this little guy. It was a gift and I loved by surprised by it so much that...

...I quickly purchased this hanging plant. We've got such a 70s house that there are already hooks all over our ceilings ready to hang something.
And then came the succulent. I want so many more of these, all over!
And lastly, I realized that fresh flowers are really very cheap. I can buy a bundle while out grocery shopping and keep them around for at least 2 weeks. maybe longer! And man, it makes a difference.

And here's the best part, my friend is going to come over this weekend and help me assess the outside situation. Then she is going to hold my hand while I make some flower purchases and walk me through planting them. This is what I'm talking about. I know nothing. We may even brainstorm some bushes to plant in our current rock garden. But first, we need to get rid of those lovely cinder blocks and rocks.

I've now got my befores, hopefully before too long, I'll have some afters! Any tips? or suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment