Friday, April 24, 2015

week 23: sickness and control

Love those eyebrows

This week is titled: Round 2.

More sickness at the Vance house. Will it ever end?

After having a full house of kiddos Monday morning, Amos woke up from his nap with a 101.4 fever. I thought he had dodged the first round of sickness, but even if he did, he got something new instead. His was more flu like and achy. That night, he threw up in his bed. Real fun stuff.

The inevitable happened, and Silas had the fever the next day. Most of our week looked like this. And me trying desperated to keep Ivan from getting it. So far it has worked. Hoping next week isn't titled: Round 3. On the bright side, none of the other 7 kids at our house on Monday caught anything! Whew!

Amos is now old enough to tell us how he feels. The only problem is that he is also old enough to be a bit dramatic. "MY THROAT HURTS SOOOO BAD."

At Silas' age, he'd rather pretend that he's not sick so that he can keep playing. While playing he's super dramatic and cranky (because he feels terrible). So the drama comes out somewhere.

I like to be in control. Of our day, our time, our plans. A sermon I listened to on Sunday was talking about the Rich Young Ruler in the Bible. The preacher said that the Ruler wanted something to add onto his good life. He was acting like following Jesus could just be tacked on to his plans. Jesus said, "I can't be added on, I'll blow-up the life you are living and make it something completing different. I saw myself in the Rich Young Ruler. Wanting Jesus to be something I can just add on to my plans.

Monday morning, that was my prayer. Blow-up my life Jeus, my plans. Fill the void with you. And he has.

All our plans have been cancelled, we haven't done anything productive, we've slept a lot less and I've become a pharmacy, but in the thick of it, I hear the Lord whispering, "I am in control. Trust me."

Any control I think I have is really just an allusion anyway. From the same sermon: We are on a little ball of rock, spinning through space and even if we don't end up hitting something else, underneath everyone is a trapdoor. At the end of our life, that trapdoor will open, and everyone will fall off. Underneath you is either the Everlasting Arms, or nothing at all.

Trust Me.

Ivan happenings: Giving open mouth kisses. I love them. Loves sitting. Fussier than he's been. I think he may be working on teeth. I really good at the drop game. Could play it for hours.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment