Wednesday, March 11, 2015

mom's life: 1st edition

So I realize that I rarely talk about myself on our blog. I've done a pretty good job documenting the boys lives and all their happenings. I'm so glad that I've been able to keep it up, because it has already proven useful looking back with each new baby and I can't imagine what it will be like in years to come. But, I've done a bad job filling in the gaps of our lives, the parents.

We've actually had quite a lot happening. But I'm going to start small. We're in training. For a race that is.

Back in 2011, after having Amos, I made a plan to run a race after having each of my babies. The plan was to use the training to get back in shape after the pregnancy. So far, I've followoed through on the plan. I ran the 1st Joplin Marathon in 2012, with my dad. The funny part was that I was actually pregnant with Silas at the time. So much for getting back in shape.

The after having Silas, I again ran the Joplin Marathon in 2013, with my dad. I was not pregnant and posted a pretty good time, placing 5th in my age division.

Then, I decided to stop. I had been running consistently for 9 years of my life at this point, and was ready for a break. My body got so use to the calories that I burned while running, that it wasn't very effective for weight loss, and it didn't like me taking any breaks.

Since then, I've only done short HIT workouts and have loved it. Ironically, in my time off, Jason has started running fairly regularly and has completed two 25K trail runs. He's loved it so much and wanted us to do one together,

And now you are up to date. We are running a 25K trail run down in Stillwater, OK on April 11th. Our 6 year anniversary! I know, "how romantic!" We are very excited and are planning on dropping off all three of the boys at the Grandparents for the weekend.

We've gotten to train a little bit together, but mostly our training has been separately. It's been fun to look forward to doing this together, but I think, after the race, I'm continuing my hiatis from running. It just takes up so much time. Maybe when the boys are older and can do it with us, I'll pick it up again.

 

3 comments:

  1. Whoa! Stillwatter, OK is my hometown! I hope you guys have a blast at the race and around town. :-) Glad to read a bit more about the parents' side of life too! (Though the kiddos are adorable. :-D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara, I've thought about that being your hometown several times. Any tips on where we should go or where we should eat?

      Delete
    2. Awww. :-) I'm curious where the race itself is in town. I didn't know there was that long of trails!

      Hideaway Pizza and Eskimo Joe's are about as Stillwaterian as you can get. :-) Hideaway Pizza is on OSU's campus. They do pizza (of course), salads, sandwiches, etc. They have fun art and kites on the walls and even Pente game boards if you know how to play. The lighting in the evening is pretty dim so it is kinda romantical! Pretty places on campus to see are the big lawn of the Library, the fountain there, and the Student Union is a pretty well known one - always ranks up in the top 10 of the nation I've heard. Theta Pond is a pretty pond on campus with some beautiful old knotty trees and often swans. Eskimo Joe's is kinda on the edge of campus and they're super well known. Started as a bar a long time ago and grew into a popular restaurant and t-shirt spot. Cheese fries, burgers, chicken sandwiches, etc. are served there. I've only been able to take my husband to Stillwater once, but we hit up these places and he keeps bringing them up from time to time wanting to go back. :-) Boomer Lake is another spot in town that was near my house back in the day. It's just a manmade lake with paved sidewalks/jetties around it for a little over 3 miles. So if after your race you need to try to not get too stiff that's an option in addition to campus. I think they do have a tennis court over there (or they did). Oh! One place I have really fond memories of that I want to go visit again someday is Curly's. It's a burger and fry joint that used to have an old school glass soda bottle dispenser and a Pac Man game. It wasn't ever super fancy decor, but it was fun. I've heard it's still there too. :-)

      Delete