Two boys in one room! That's right! Last week we moved the boys into the same room. If you think I'm crazy, you're probably right, but we had two good reasons for doing it.
The first: we'd always planned for the boys to share rooms in the future, and had heard from several people that the early you do this, the easier it is. Both boys are light sleepers, so I'm hoping this helps them learn to sleep through each other.
The second: Coffee was taking over our house. In case you don't know, we have started a coffee roasting company called, Flying Crow Coffee. You should check it out on Facebook. That meant that we had coffee stuff in the kitchen, on the table, in our bedroom and basically all over the house. We needed a place to centralize everything. An office sounded like the perfect idea. By moving Silas into Amos' room we now have a guest room/office!
It's been quite exciting. The first night I wanted to get them down earlier than normally because I expected some playing. However, we had friends over to eat, so that didn't happen. Instead they went down late. We'd already moved the crib, so we didn't have another option.
The first 45 minutes were spent by Amos running back and forth between his bed and Silas' crib, which resulted in Silas laughing his head off. For 45 minutes. Then Amos got the bright idea of giving (read: throwing) toys to Silas' and trying to climb into the crib himself. I opened the door, and gave Amos some new rules: #1 Nothing goes into Silas' crib #2 Including Amos.
I must have not been scary enough, because after a short respite, he started up again. I knew it was time to pull out the big guns. Side note: Amos is very scared of the video monitor in his room. For a while he didn't know it's name but would just stare at it cautiously. He especially freaks out when I talk to him through the monitor. Now he calls it 'camera' because we've tried and tried to explain that it wasn't scary, it is just a camera and Mom can talk through it like a phone. Even with a name, it is still scary. He tries to be nice to it by waving and praying for it at night, so that it won't leap off the wall and get him. All this to say that after talking to him directly didn't work, I spoke through the camera. And it worked.
The bad news was that by this point, it was 9pm. My boys go to bed around 7:30pm. So a very tired Silas started crying. When he finally quieted down, I thought that was the end. The boys were asleep. That's when I heard it. At first, a very quiet, "Si, guy." It kept getting louder and louder. Amos was still awake and wanted to make sure Silas was too. I added a new rule over the monitor: #3 If Silas falls asleep, don't wake him up. And that was the end of the night.
Every night since, has gotten better. Our best night was about a week in when Silas was asleep by 7:45pm. We now end our bedtime routine by restating the 3 rules for Amos. So far so good.
As far as morning goes, Silas is normally the first one up. He's content to sit for a little while, and then he gets to talking and promptly wakes Amos up. We still nap them in separate rooms as Silas only naps for 2 hours and Amos for 3.
I'm loving having an office and re-organizing most of our house. We are going to test the boys' skills at sleeping in the same room on Monday, as we spend the night away from home for a family reunion. I'll let you know how it goes.





No comments:
Post a Comment